Thursday, March 19, 2009

Reflect and Review: Watchmen (Part II)


continued from Part I:

One of the things I really liked about Snyder’s remake of Dawn of the Dead was the soundtrack. To be honest, I really don’t like the band Disturbed, but when I heard the lounge version of their big hit in the mall, it was great. A montage with the characters getting used to life trapped inside a mall while besieged by legions of undead set to “Down with the Sickness”? Perfect. And the movie was pretty damn cool, to the point where, at the end of the movie when the real version of the song came on, I didn’t mind hearing it. The soundtrack was great here again, taking cues from the book, and finding ways to bookend the film with Bob Dylan songs. Bob opens the movie, Hendrix has his take on Watchtower, and then My Chemical Romance covers Desolation Row during the closing credits. Leonard Cohen, Nina Simone, Janis Joplin, Simon & Garfunkel … great songs we’ve all heard a plethora of times, but their usage here makes them poignant again.


As for the look of the film, I loved the use of slow motion to illustrate the exact translation of panels from the book. Snyder used this technique a lot in 300 as well, a film also based on a graphic novel. I hope, as cool as both these films look, he finds a way to break out of this if and when he ever makes an original movie.

All in all, I really felt this flick – it’s quite the spectacle and should not be missed in the theaters. But as good as it is, and as much as you should check it out – you should still read the book!

Reflect and Review: Watchmen (Part I)

Lengthy Litigation: Fan Boys, Shut Up (Part I)
Lengthy Litigation: Fan Boys, Shut Up (Part II)
Lengthy Litigation: Fan Boys, Shut Up (Part III)

+ Watchmen Reviews [Rotten Tomatoes]

- Goodchild

Digg It!
Buzz Up!
Add to Stumble
Add to Delicious
Reddit
Twit This
Add to Facebook
Google Bookmarks
Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: